Classes & Lessons Schedule
|April 21 - May 26, 2016||Wernick Method Jam Class||Mountain Music Parlor
Hello fellow picker,
I recently wrote to you about an upcoming bluegrass jam camp taught by a master instructor. Rick Sparks, a popular teacher of Wernick Method classes, will be offering a weekend jam camp in Dallas, TX October 24-26.
So here's a reminder of this opportunity to enter (or re-enter) the world of jamming, in the company of people just like you who live in the area.
Rick's students praise his patient teaching style and his ability to get everyone jamming in a non-threatening environment: ... great class, great fun ... got us to make music together by the end of the first class ... ... patient and generous with his time and expertise ... knows how to put people at ease ... gentle yet persuasive nature is perfect for a jam class ... did a superb job of teaching a mixed group to jam ... it seemed miraculous to me!
Some people have written with these concerns:
- I might not qualify and I wouldn't want to hold everyone back...
- Our only requirements are that (1) you are able to tune your instrument, and (2) you can change smoothly between G, C, D, and A chords (fiddle and bass players need to know which notes work with which chords). Fast playing and soloing are not expected. If you can do the above, we can guide you on how to participate in slow and easy jams. Rick will teach how to fake basic solos, follow new songs, etc.
- I'm an experienced jammer and likely to be more advanced than the novices...
- The Wernick Method provides that different people can work on different skills at the same time. If you're looking for more -- or less -- challenge, Rick will oblige!
- When are you doing this again? I don't feel ready for it.
- The sooner you take the plunge, the sooner the water becomes fine! Yes, at first you might be a little out of your comfort zone, but Rick will help you expand that zone, and get you jamming with people at your level. Don't let this rare chance pass by!
- I've never done this kind of thing before...
- That's the idea. It's for anyone who wants to jam and is either not sure how, or wants to meet other jammers in the area!
If you sign up now, you get the best rate for the camp AND receive a full orientation packet with song chords and lyrics, a list of 83 two-chord songs, info on the "number system", "Bluegrass Jamming Basics", and more, to help you prepare for the camp!
For more information about Rick's camp, click here.